Story of Saint Dadheechi

chandresh_kumar

Story of Saint Dadheechi

Post by chandresh_kumar »

According to Hindu Mythology, there was a demon named Vrutrasura. He was attacking Devataas (demi gods) and people were made to suffer a lot. Demi-gods were losing their battle against demons. At that time they went to Lord Brahma, who took them to Lord Vishnu, who recommended them to make a weapon to destroy Vrutrasura, with the help of bones of Sage Dadeechi.

Saint Dadeechi’s bones were very powerful, very hard and unbreakable due to power of his penance.

Accordingly, all the Demi-Gods went to Saint Dadheechi and requested him to donate his bones to them. Dadeechi, thereupon quietly acceded to the request of Indra, the king of demi gods. By his powers of Yoga he gave up his life so that his backbone might be utilized for making the mighty bow, Vajrayudha.

After his death, all the Demi Gods collected his bones. They made a weapon named “Vajrayudha” with the spinal bone of Dadheechi and gave it to Indra.

With the help of Vajrayudha, Indra killed Vrutraasura.

Morals in the Story:

1. The mentality of charity of Saint Dadhiichi was well shown in the story. With great pleasure he did sacrifice of his body for saving the Demi Gods.

2. Satisfaction is very important. One must be satisfied with whatever he has. Though Shukraachaarya (Guru of demons) advised Vrutraasura to be satisfied being the King of the Tri-bhuvanas, he was not and continued fought with the Demi Gods.

mohan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Story of Saint Dadheechi

Post by mohan »

Dear Chandresh,
Nice story and you summed up good Morals too.
I lived in an Ashrama where name of the hospital was “दधीचि शल्यचिकिस्तालय” Dadheechi Hospital. So I knew Dadheechi from my childhood. Nice to read about him now.

I bow my head before Dadheechi for his ultimate sacrifice. Such a supreme sacrifice, we can not expect from today's man. But our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

About Satisfaction or Santosha,
If you do not like being what you are, you won’t find any happiness in life. Be content with where you are, or you will never be happy or feel true satisfaction.
With santosha, you can get rid of cravings and attain great happiness.

If you are dissatisfied, it causes psychic infirmity and many other complexes.
Sage Vashishtha, says that vichara (reflection), shanti (peacefulness), satsang (being in the company of truth, in any form), and santosha (satisfaction) are the four sentinels at the gate of moksha (salvation, or being completely freed from the cycle of birth and rebirth). Sage Vashishtha says that if you have mastered santosha, the other three will let you pass automatically.