A move towards holistic education?

gem

A move towards holistic education?

Post by gem »

Hi everyone,

I was just reading a post regarding the way in which we all learn differently. For example, while some of us learn better using visual stimulus, others learn better by using their hands, or by listening, etc. 

It reminded me of an experiment done at my son's school when he was around 12. The teachers set a test to find out which mode of teaching/learning the child was more attuned to. In my son's case, it was shown that he was more suited to learning through visual stimulus such as reading material, pictures, etc. In fact it also showed he found it very difficult to learn through listening to the teacher.

This was all very interesting and I was pleased the school was taking an interest in the possibility that different pupils need different modes of teaching. I myself often feel frustrated that the school system is failing to teach children holistically. That is, guiding them to where their true talents and passions lie, rather than pushing them into learning useless facts that they are clearly not attuned to.

Anyway, getting back to the story. While I was nodding in approval about the experiment, my son proceeded to inform me that as a result of the test's findings, he was told that he should try harder in future to listen to the teacher! What a wasted exercise, I thought. It is such a shame that the potential growth in understanding was totally lost.

What are your views on education today? Do you hope for a more holistic approach in teaching our children?
Suzi

Re: A move towards holistic education?

Post by Suzi »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that the end result of this test was that your son was simply told to listen more, this after all isn't in the slightest bit helpful.  I'm not sure what country you reside in but this is all new to our area, my son's first school was very good and to the best of their means tried to include learning activities that involved all the ways in which an individual learns (well the recognised ones at least which is called Gardner's seven intelligences), they also each or every other day do left and right brain exercises, to promote a more well rounded balanced brain.  I also got involved with making story sacks, which included learning activities using the seven intelligences, they are very popular and successful.  Sadly my son's middle school is no where near as good as his first and their attitude and approach even to general education and well being is seriously lacking.

I think this is in its infancy and I think technique will improve over time, obviously money is the major factor at holding it back but I think its also teacher's and school's attitudes too.  Here at least the goverment is tackling bullying in schools and trying to combat the anti-social behaviour in our country due to the lack of simple social skills but I know from the behaviour of the headmaster at my son's current school that this isn't appreciated, so unless the school's and their staff are educated into the benefits first then it'll only hinder the outcome.
W*Holistic

Re: A move towards holistic education? - Out of the calssroom!

Post by W*Holistic »

It is very sad when mainstrreams of our schooling system blatently and unimformingly make use of the word Holistic and have not got a clue what they are really talking about..

I feel that the teachers should listen more carefully don't you all?

The classroom environment is not for life, Learning is!

"Grass Roots" experience has taught me that much at least

So lets encourage the easiest and most fun way to do that!

Learning does not have to hurt. We do not have to suffer to become succesful

A lot of folk are forced to overlook education via life circumstances illness, frequent relocation or periods of living abroad. Others are distracted or bored at school, or need some extra help to enterprise their potential.

The wholistic paradigm that I make use of offeres a unique on line learning support space, which ensures that whatever difficulty folk find on-line they do not miss out on the learning skills, experience in gaining confidence that helps a person to enterprise the most out of themselves.

A universal approach is shared in the learning fields, that I move in and I encourage the bridge to be there for a  ‘student centered' support. The awareness of the National Curriculum of England, is a funny ole thing and teachers are always worried about their assessments as teacdhers rarther than that of listeners!

Guidance for those wishing to continue in education with different learning skills, which can be out of the class room environment. Home study for example

The emphasis of my work is on awareness, flexibility and individual facilitation by qualified and experienced facilitators and teachers, making use of the 21st century technology, computers, telephone, e-mail and some cases face to face work...Whats the matter with the education system is to much to take on board. I feel the wholistic outlook is furthering my learning and many folk that I work with

Students/learning partners study at their own pace and at the times when they feel best able to consentrate. Being told to listen more is an easy statement to make...

Your son will turn out to be much more intelligent than some of the teachers he has come by in years to come!

Take your time and remember the learning outside of the class room is as important as within it!

Kind Regards