Treatment for torn meniscus

ayurvedic herbs, plants, physiotherapy, naturotherapy,
use of herbal medicine in Indian traditional medicine.
Saille

Treatment for torn meniscus

Post by Saille »

I tore the meniscus in both knees years ago. It's gotten much worse, and my experiences with allopathy (traditional Western doctors) was, to say the least, awful.

I felt guided to try making a thin paste of ginger, turmeric, and warmed sesame oil, but that didn't seem quite right and wasn't helping all that much.

Then I tried making a thick paste of ginger, myrrh, and water. It's made a tremendous difference. I now use it only several times a week, and have much more ease walking without nearly the amount of pain.

Lately, I've also been massaging castor oil into my knees. I"m not sure if it's helping, but I know that healing two torn meniscuses is going to be a slow process.

Would it be better to use ghee, or stick with the castor oil? Anyone have any feedback or ideas?

Namaste! :F0
hotice_steve
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Treatment for torn meniscus

Post by hotice_steve »

Dear Saille,
I think the initial paste also helped you & did the major repairs.
Myrrh helps t ease the pain so you were much comfortable walking.
Castor is not much helpful as Sesame can be in terms of penetration.
Try the first paste you mentioned in an oil extract. Apply it an hour before a hot bath/shower.
of course the second one you can use alternately to alleviate the pain.
We will discuss more on this later.
Healing send
Blessings dear
Saille

Post by Saille »

An hour before a bath/shower, apply a paste of sesame oil, myrrh powder, with ginger and tumeric? Hmmm. That makes sense. I had been soaking rags in the medicated oil...perhaps a paste (like I was doing with just the ginger and myrhh) would be best, yes! And the heat from the oil would help it absorb. I see! Thank you, Steve ji, and Namaste!

(and whew! I've been wondering why people aren't posting :wD )
hotice_steve
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by hotice_steve »

Dear Saille,
Actually what I meant was an Oil extract.
Of course nothing like fresh paste. But you have to leave it overnight for best results as penetration is slow.
There is one more trick here use ground dates in your paste. just a binding agent & allows gentle flow & keeps the heat in to promote blood circulation.
Take 2 cloth sheets so as to make a bandage. The outer should be thick the inner thin so as to allow the juices to gently ooze a bit. put the paste in between 2 sheets & tie the bandage loosely. You can give the bandage a blast of steam & re-use again. If well made you can re-use till end of the week & repeat all over again.
Must say the process a bit messy at first. It can be an earning proposition if you can sell this. People can come to you to buy the bandages. :yS :V:
Other less messy but equally effective method for maintenance of the joints is the Oil extract. very convenient & works for a long time.
Take the ingredients(without oil) in a large quantity of water. super boil it till the water is reduced to half. Now decant off the liquid & filter out the solids. The solids can be rinsed in a little water & the filtered liquid can be added to the main solution.
Now add the oil to the solution & boil till the water completely evaporates. The levels should be marked so you can see when there is complete evaporation of the water.

Note that the active ingredients of the medicines are more soluble in oil then in water. This Oil extract is very penetrative.this can also sell.
Saille

Post by Saille »

Thank you for clarifying this, Steve, :F0

For anyone who reads this, creating this paste takes a little bit of time and is worth every second. I've only tried it on my knees for the meniscus, but this would work wonders for any joint issue, I believe.

The herbs I'm using are turmeric, myrrh, and ginger. All three are in powdered form. I use about 2 tablespoons each of turmeric and ginger, and about 1 tablespoon of myrrh.

Steve's idea of making bandages of the paste mixture worked well :gL . I got a wide cotton cloth and smeared the mixture on the center of the cloth, then folded it so that it wouldn't leak too much. He's right, it's messy! I haven't figured out how to turn it into an opportunity to make money *grin*.

Anyone who has sore joints or injuries will benefit from this treatment. I do find that the bandage came loose overnight (what a mess!), so I wrapped an ace bandage around the medicated bandage and it worked well.

For quick relief, I also use the ginger and myrrh powder with water to make a thick paste, but I caution people who try this to not leave this on for longer than about 15-30 minutes, or it feels very, very hot after you take it off.

May everyone heal themselves and others. :F0

(If I did anything other than the ways you mentioned in your above post, Steve, please let me know. I'll be dealing with this for awhile, I suspect, and everyone can benefit from your wisdom.)
hotice_steve
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by hotice_steve »

Dear Saille,
Do try the Oil extract too.
I will try to find links where you can get good stuff online off the shelf.
Would be nice if you can consume an Indian Clarified Butter called Ghee. Its made from Cows Milk. Ghee from Cow's Milk contains only beneficial oils plus a lot of useful minerals rare elements. It helps in lubrication of the joints which is so very important.
Want to introduce you to a much unknown herb... Hadjod (Winged Treebine/Cissus quadrangularis) is translated as '(the one) that unites broken bones' in Hindi, while its Sanskrit name, asthisamharaka, literally means 'protecting bones from destruction'.
this is the secret ingredients used by all bone setters in India who I feel do a better job than most orthopedic surgeons.
Hadjod ensures early ossification (bone formation) and fortifies bone tensile strength, which accelerate fracture healing. Hadjod increases bone mineral density by stimulating bone metabolism and increasing the uptake of minerals calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, and strontium by osteoblasts (bone-forming cells). The action is also helpful in preventing osteoporosis-related fractures. It relieves pain and inflammation associated with fractures.
I have tried it on me & worked well with me also. I had a very bad fracture & complete ligament tear of my right ankle. It healed 3 times faster . Didn't take a singe painkiller(used few ayurvedic herbs only). It has to be taken orally. can be added to any bone setting bandage.
It is non steroidal & has various other benefits.
Nice topic!!! hope you get healed faster.
Blessings
Saille

Post by Saille »

Thank you, Steve ji,
Hadjod. I haven't heard of it, and it sounds wonderful. The availability of anything Ayurvedic in this little midwestern town in Montana is hard to find, and the choices are limited.

I've learned to make my own ghee. It's not perfect yet, but I'm learning. ;D

I'm trying to balance my doshas, so I'm struggling to figure out the issue of oils. My prakriti is Pitta/Kapha/Vata, but my vakruti is Kapha/Pitta/Vata. So I'm trying to pacify both Kapha and Pitta to flip them back to my correct constitution. So I'll start a post on oils, I think, since it's an issue that is so important to anyone seeking health and balance.

Thank you, and Namaste!

Return to “Ayurvedic Herbs, herbal medicine & naturotherapy”